Fixing the kernels backlight API

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Feb 13 09:19:32 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 02:41:53PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:

> I still believe we need to do better, but maybe that better needs to be done
> in userspace rather then in the kernel.

One option is to put it on the connector but provide some mechanism for
userspace to define the relationship between platform/firmware
interfaces and connectors. We ought to be able to tie connectors into
the ACPI namespace and do a better job than we currently do with the
association between backlight and connector. The bigger problem is
figuring out how platform interfaces tie into things, and that's where
heuristics are probably going to be involved.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org