Fixing the kernels backlight API

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Feb 14 00:45:46 PST 2014

Hi,

On 02/13/2014 09:12 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 08:43:10PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> I can understand where Dave is coming from, from a kernel pov, so this
>> might really be easier to just solve in userspace. I don't know if you've
>> seen my very rough sketch of how this could work in userspace in my other
>> mail. The idea would be to still make this show up on a specific connector,
>> but only at the xrandr level, not at the drm level, and have the xserver
>> talk to some kind of backlightd for this.  The backlightd API should of cource
>> be generic enough that it can be used in wayland too.
>
> Sure. You should probably take a look at libbacklight, which already has
> some amount of support for appropriate heuristics.

Ah, I did not know about libbacklight, thanks for the pointer.

Note that although I believe we do need to sort out this mess, and having
something like backlightd would be a good idea, I likely won't have time to
work on this in the near future. For $dayjob I will be focussing on finishing
rootless xorg and working on libinput. And $hobbytime is all going to getting
upstream support for Allwinner ARM SoCs into place.

Still I'll put a line about this in my todo file, just don't expect anything
soon, and no promises about this at all!

Regards,

Hans