vesa and 2560x1440

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 07:41:26 PDT 2014

On 18 October 2014 15:49, Mateusz Jończyk <mat.jonczyk at o2.pl> wrote:
> W dniu 18.10.2014 o 10:48, Michal Suchanek pisze:
>> Yes, the graphics is not expected to work correctly without a firmware.
>>
>> That's a severe defect of the Radeon driver since the firmware  is
>> apparently buggy and/or the interface is not well understood and it
>> fails miserably under some circumstances. It should however bring up a
>> card correctly when it is in VGA text mode which is what the BIOS sets
>> up on boot.
>>
> AFAIK the best way to discuss this problem is on Bugzilla. Have You filed a bug
> there or found an existing one?

Yes, years ago.

Also discussed with the developers on IRC.

I was told that it works and I am just unlucky if it does not work for
me. So unlucky that 10 out of 10 cards fail.

Also Debian is so unlucky that they had to implement a hack in
initramfs to run exclusively in text mode way longer than convenient.

Thanks

Michal