tile property contents

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Oct 24 00:41:44 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 05:25:58PM +1000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> >> Sure, users can set the mode, but:
> >>
> >> * Part of what the TILE property conveys is how monitors should be grouped
> >>   for purposes of window maximization.  Users don't have a great way to
> >>   express that today, that I'm aware of.
> >
> > My understanding for why we want the TILE property is to avoid to
> > duplicate displayId parsing over every bit of userspace (and the fbcon
> > stuff in the kernel) interested in it. Imo the proper way for userspace is
> > to always just inherit whatever modeset config is already there.
>
> Andy's idea is good, I'd considered it before, the problem being how
> to expose it nicely,
>
> not sure if you'd want persistent via /sys or dynamic setting of the
> property by user for that session, so we could do it like xrandr
> modes.
>
> Daniel you are missing the nice case of using TILE for non-displayid
> monitors once the infrastructure is in place.
>
> Having it so you can create user defined tile groups to allow users to
> configure arbitrary walls is a useful thing, that you can't do any
> other way.
>

> >> * Users might configure the mode they want, but then gnome-settings-daemon
> >>   may come along later and decide it knows better than the user how things
> >>   should be configured.  One scenario where this comes up is:
> >>     (a) user meticulously configures his power wall
> >>     (b) user hotplugs another monitor
> >>   I've definitely seen cases where window managers will try to be clever
> >>   If the TILE property conveyed how some set of monitors was supposed
> >>   to be grouped, that would hopefully give window managers additional
> >>   information, such that they would know to keep that group intact.
> >
> > Well, imnsho gnome display control center is a bit too opiniated about
> > automatic modeset changes. If their assumption is that they always know
> > perfectly what the user wants upon hotplug I really don't want to work
> > around this in the kernel. Since for everything else than a laptop +
> > beamer gnome panel always pisses me off ;-)
> >
> > I think gnome should just ask the user what it wants if there's more than
> > 2 physical displays (treating a tiled 4k screen as one ofc), since there's
> > really no way at all to tell.
>
> Well its not just a GNOME problem either, once things like SDL respect
> tIle properrty,
> we can create arbitary tile walls that the whole stack will respect,
> instead of hacks
> like fake xinerama.

Hm yeah if we want tile walls als logical displays for full-screening and
all that then this makes indeed sense. I didn't really consider that part,
was probably thrown off by Andy's comments that some tile walls aren't
pixel aligned which would look funky for full-screen apps I guess.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation