via_ati_questions

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 03:17:58 PDT 2015

Hello,

On 10 August 2015 at 11:42, Doug Lasse <yeaohyeaoh3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I gonna give you the log directly by email.
> Here it is.

The log clearly shows xforcevesa argument on your kernel commandline
and X server loading the VESA driver.

The VESA driver is unaccelerated so this works as expected more or less.

If you want acceleration you should research why did you get the
xforcevesa argument. It might have been something you did during
installation or configuration, a blacklist that automagically disables
acceleration for problematic card or a script that disables
acceleration when X crashes.

Either way that's something your distribution does and it's not really
something the X server is responsible for. If acceleration was
disabled because X crashed a log from the crashed X server might be
useful. If your distribution scripts save it somewhere..

> For the moment I just connected my VIA card (not the ATI one).
>
> I have an old Mandriva 2006 LiveCD and the driver seems to work very fine
> without I do something manually.
>
> I'd like to copy the file on a usb file "radeon_drv.so" but I don't manage
> cause of Read Only permission I can't change with chmod or chown ever if I'm
> logged in root session.

That will not work. The driver is linked with old X server and you
have different X server now. With xforcevesa it won't be loaded either
way.

HTH

Michal