Deliver input events only to window owner

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Dec 3 00:55:22 PST 2015

Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> writes:

> that's going to be fun to work out. raw events are delivered to the root
> window only so you don't really know which client they get delivered to.
> They're before the actual event in the pipe, and in some cases the event
> isn't delivered to the client (e.g. if a grab deactivates or activates).
> Short of folding the raw event into the DeviceEvent and then extracting it
> out just before event deliver, I'm not sure how to sensibly work around
> this.

One could imagine re-ordering the event queue so that the non-raw event
is queued first, and then retaining state in the processing of that
event that the raw event processing code could go look at. Ick.

> Raw keyboard events were a mistake but we already had so many ways to write
> a keylogger that one more didn't seem to matter. If we're cutting off all
> avenues for keyboard sniffing and we're ok with breaking things (see
> synclient), maybe it's worth to to discard raw keyboard events altogether,
> possibly based on a ServerFlag.

Ok, I hesitated to suggest such a thing, but if you think this is
reasonable, then I'll go ahead and make a suitable patch.

--
-keith