interfacing new touchpad driver with Xorg synaptics

Richard Pospesel pospeselr at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 15:04:43 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm working on a touchpad kernel driver (in the psmouse module) for BYD
touchpads.  However, Xorg always selects the evdev 'pointer' driver (not
even the evdev 'touhpad' driver).  I've browsed through other touchpad
drivers in the psmouse module, and I don't seem to be missing anything
obvious that my driver would need to do.

What do I need to do in my kernel driver for Xorg to load the synaptics
driver rather than the evdev driver?

kernel source:
https://github.com/pospeselr/linux/blob/master/data/drivers/input/mouse/byd.c
Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/GkCVHu9t

I have already tried enabling the MatchDevicePath /dev/input/event* line.

thanks,
-Richard