Xorg 7.7 question on Thinkpad T550

Connor Behan connor.behan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 12:57:52 PDT 2015

On 03/07/15 05:32 PM, William Bulley wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE on a Thinkpad T550 laptop.  After
> building the Xorg port, as root, I ran "# Xorg -configure" and then
> looked at the generated xorg.conf.new file.  There were two Device
> sections (!), one for the integrated Intel graphics, and the other
> for VESA grapics.
>
> I modified the xorg.conf.new file to comment out the VESA section
> and made other changes that I have learned over the years work for
> me (I've been using XFree86 then Xorg on FreeBSD for ~twenty years).
>
> When I tried "Xorg -config xorg.conf.new", the system just hung!  :-(
>
> After a reboot I moved the xorg.conf.new to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and
> using a non-root account, I issued "% xstart" which gave this error:
>
>    (EE) no screens found(EE)
>
> In the xorg.conf.new there were two "Card"s at the same bus address:
> "PCI:0:2:0" -- one is Intel, and the other is VESA.
Can you post the Intel Xorg.0.log as well?
> When I comment out the VESA "Card", I get the "no screens found" error.
> When I comment out the Intel "Card", it looks like things are working
> according to the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, but nothing works on the
> screen -- no mouse, no keyboard, and I have to reboot, sigh...   :-(
>
> The LCD display when using the VESA "Card" looks almost decent: there
> is a mottled grey background with a small "x" or "+" mouse cursor in
> the very center (which, of course, doesn't move).   :-(
That's what happens when X starts without input or window managers. Try
typing the exec line of your favourite window manager in xinitrc. To
make sure input works, make sure you have udev and xf86-input-evdev
installed. Also make sure the evdev kernel module is loaded. If you
don't want to go that route, you'll have to install the older mouse and
keyboard drivers and make corresponding sections for those in xorg.conf.