Added 3D support

Or Tal ortal99 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:16:20 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I added the necessary code to make displays recognize 3D modes and switch
to 3D mode automatically.

Background:
There are 3 major 3D modes
Side-By-Side (SBS) where the left eye and right eye pictures are scaled to
1/2 the horizontal resolution, stacked side by side and transmitted as a
single 1920x1080 image.
Top-and-Bottom (TB, sometimes called Over-Under), same as SBS but vertical
stacking
Frame-Packing (FP) no scaling - vertical resolution is doubled + 45 lines
images are transmitted as: left, 45 blank lines, right. (Note that standard
mandates that the vertical blanking also be 45 lines for this mode to work)

For the projector / TV to automatically switch to the correct mode, it
receives the type of mode in the HDMI InfoFrame.
The Linux kernel DRM supports generating the correct InfoFrames and expects
the 3D mode to be supplied in mode-line flags (same as HSync, Interlace,
etc).

Attached are the patches to just pass the flags to the kernel.
I did not add the support to the xorg.conf parser yet - I'll do that after
I'll get an OK from you guys that I'm on the right track.
also, its my first git patch sending. I hope I'm ok...

and a question:
The kernel automatically calculates the correct vertical mode-line
parameters (basically adds VTotal to each field) so in effect we need to
pass it a '1920x1080' modeline with a 3D_FP flag and it will double the
vertical. The problem is that the X will still think that the root window
size is 1080 and not 2205. How should I go about fixing that?

Regards,
Or Tal.