GSoC 2015: The X.Org Foundation has been accepted as a mentoring organisation

Martin Peres martin.peres at free.fr
Mon Mar 2 12:45:04 PST 2015

Hello,

I have the pleasure to announce you that the X.Org Foundation has been
accepted as a mentoring organisation for the Google Summer of Code 2015.
This means that your project can receive students again this year!

Here are the important dates coming[0]:
- 16 March: Student application period opens.
- 27 March: Student application deadline.
- 24 April: All mentors must be signed up and all student proposals
matched with a mentor
- 27 April: Accepted student proposals announced on the Google Summer of
Code 2015 site

Potential mentors:
Please put up your project ideas on our ideas page[1] by the end of the
week to get the maximum chance of finding the best student possible. In
any case, you are required to put your project up before March 16th.

Students:
Consult our ideas page[1] or come up with your own project idea. In any
case, apply as soon as possible, take contact with potential mentors and
ask them for advices on how to improve your chances of being accepted.
This year, we are going to be a bit stricter than usual when it comes to
selecting students. You thus have until April 23rd to get a patch
accepted upstream to show us you can work in the open source community
and with the usual tools (git, gcc, autotools, cmake, ...). An idea
could be for you to pick a simple bug from the project's bugzilla and
fix it. If you already have submitted patches to your project of choice
or a closely-related project, you do not have to do anything. We however
would still advice you to show your interest by providing patches or
participating to our discussions.

Finally, I would like to thank Google again this year for giving us the
opportunity to get new blood to the projects under the X.Org
Foundation's umbrella!

Martin Peres, on behalf of the board of directors

[0] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2015
[1] http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/