Adding DBus Support to a Driver?

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 07:57:50 PDT 2015

I currently maintain the commercial version of the SMSC driver. Recently
I've been asked to consider adding DBus support to the driver for such uses
as setting internal debug variables and inquiring about performance
statistics.

A quick look at the Xorg sources show that Xorg is DBus aware via its
dbus-core.c code, but that the interface to dbus-core is not currently
exported to the public include files.

How safe would it be to add my own dbus connection routines to my driver,
and ignore the ones in Xorg? Is this likely to cause any conflicts?

--
Stirling Westrup
Programmer, Entrepreneur.