[PULL] glamor-next

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Wed Mar 25 23:22:39 PDT 2015

Markus Wick <markus at selfnet.de> writes:

> Am 2015-03-26 03:33, schrieb Eric Anholt:
>> The only reason _nf is useful is if you need to implement faster
>> software fallbacks -- otherwise, you should wrap above glamor, since
>> _nf
>> would have been equivalent to calling down.
>
> For faster fallbacks, we could delay the uploading part at the end of
> the fallback. So if the next call is also a fallback, we'd not have to
> readback it again.
> But this is in opposition to only readback the affected part of the
> pixmap.

Yeah, this leads to the EXA migration idea.  It was a disaster.

The correct answer for getting performance, then and now, was "just make
the operation fast in hardware anyway."  We're still early in the
optimization of Mesa's draw call overhead, and sadly only really Intel
developers have been working on it.  (I haven't been working on it since
leaving Intel, either)