About xf86-video-armsoc integration

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Wed May 13 03:16:47 PDT 2015

On 12 May 2015 at 15:03, Guillaume Tucker <guillaume.tucker at arm.com> wrote:
>> Then i run  startx, i can see the desktop on the monitor.
>> But i found that the X process doesn't load any EGL and GLES libs by
>> seeing the info of /proc/X process ID/task/*/smaps file.
>
> Most X11 desktop environments use OpenGL, not OpenGL ES.  Then like most
> embedded GPUs, Mali-450 only supports OpenGL ES so the X11 desktop is
> not hardware-accelerated.

This is somewhat unrelated to the issue of the armsoc driver being a
bug pile that makes your system crash.

However, both GNOME and KDE can use OpenGL ES for desktop acceleration.

Other desktops use Render or whatever acceleration which is actually
faster for small scale effects when done in software but can be a bit
sluggish for large window moves/resizes on slow CPUs.

>> [    23.793] (II) GLX: no usable GL providers found for screen 0
>
> This means that although X11 found a valid armsoc driver and is enabled
> to run OpenGL ES apps it won't run desktop-like OpenGL apps or desktop
> environments that need OpenGL.

There is a shim library to translate OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES calls
so you can run desktop OpenGL applications that use OpenGL features
for which the translation was already added.
I don't remember the exact library name, unfortunately.

Thanks

Michal