List display device names

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:37:49 PST 2015

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 22:06:12 +0000
Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> On 11 November 2015 at 13:31, Tom Deseyn <tom.deseyn at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > To configure X I need to know the display device names (e.g. DFP-0). I get
> > these by looking at the Xorg.log. Is there a way to list these display
> > device names which is more suitable for automation? I looked at xrandr, but
> > I haven't found an option which outputs these names.
> >
> Have a look in /sys/class/drm/. If you have two GPUs there might be a
> bit of an issue - the numbers (names) will work but are not
> persistent, as the boot order of drm modules may change.

Hi,

I'm not sure /sys actually works for X and xorg.conf. The names used
vary by the video DDX in use. E.g. modesetting driver uses different
names than intel driver. The names used by the DRM kernel system is yet
another thing.

I have a vague recollection that DFP names might even be an NVIDIA
proprietary driver invention that no-one else uses?

Sorry, but I'm not aware of any better way than looking at X log or
xrandr output. If you are configuring the kernel command line for
video=, then looking in /sys provides the right names.

I suppose if you wrote your own RandR app, you'd get the names "for
sure".

Thanks,
pq