Direct hardware bashing modules (int10 et al) and recent hardware

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 04:07:14 PST 2015

Hi all,

Inspired by a comment about using inline assembly in xserver, I did a
quick through the codebase.
It seems that most of the use-cases are related to the int10 module.
To make things even more interesting - when using the Sun/Oracle
compiler many additional functions will end up exported relative to
gcc built xserver.

Afaik the int10 module is not used by kms based video drivers, yet I
cannot speak about the "legacy" or proprietary ones. I'm curious how
people feel about it - do we still have real users for it, would
people feel sad to see it go, etc.

While on the topic a few other modules come to mind - vgahw. vbe,
fbdevhw, ramdac and extensions - dga, tslib. How people feel about
those ?

Cheers,
Emil