ARMSOC X11 plugin issues

David Garbett David.Garbett at arm.com
Fri Apr 1 06:57:07 UTC 2016

The main difference between modesetting and armsoc is that armsoc
supports DRI2, and modesetting doesn't. This is what allows the GLES
driver to render to X buffers.

DRI2 enables any application to pass any X pixmap into the GLES/EGL
driver, so all buffers need to be allocated from shareable memory.
That's not the case with modesetting - other than the main framebuffer,
other allocations (for pixmaps and windows) can just be local to the X
server, so don't allocate from the DRM driver.

I've not looked at your DRM driver proposal so I can't really say why it
can't cope with the additional allocations. Though I do notice in your
armsoc patch that you don't handle scanout buffers any differently. In
many systems scanout buffers are a more scarce resource (perhaps they
need to be contiguous, or meet certain alignment restrictions).

David