Modesetting driver and cursor hot-spot

Michael Thayer michael.thayer at oracle.com
Fri Apr 1 20:12:12 UTC 2016

Hello,

I have just been adjusting the cursor handling code in the VirtualBox
kernel driver and realised that the modesetting user space driver is
still adjusting the reported cursor position to take the hot-spot into
account, even though it also reports the hot-spot using
drmModeSetCursor2().  In theory this would be easy to fix, but that
would create a new problem: kernel space would have no easy way to tell
whether it was dealing with the old or with the new driver.  Other
drivers do not have this bug though, and I seem to be the first person
to want to use both position and hot-spot information in modesetting.
Does anyone have a good idea about how to deal with this?  My best so
far is for my driver to intercept DRM_IOCTL_MODE_CURSOR2 and just
-EINVAL it to force fall-back.

Regards,

Michael
--
Michael Thayer | VirtualBox engineer
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Werkstr. 24 | D-71384 Weinstadt

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstraße 25, D-80992 München

Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Nederland, Nr. 30143697