ARMSOC X11 plugin issues

Daniel Drake drake at endlessm.com
Mon Apr 4 13:24:00 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM, Siarhei Siamashka
<siarhei.siamashka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In our case, we don't really have any restrictions on the memory
>> resource locations, and I'm not aware of any particular weird
>> alignment constraints either.
>
> Yes, this problem can be solved by using malloc for all pixmaps, and
> only migrating them to CMA or any other special allocation method
> when needed. We encountered this back in 2013, when xf86-video-mali
> had exactly the same design issues as you see now with
> xf86-video-armsoc:
>
>     http://ssvb.github.io/2013/02/01/new-xf86-video-sunxifb-ddx-driver.html
>
> As far as I know, Daniel Drake had some fixes for xf86-video-armsoc,
> but I have no idea which of the armsoc forks is the most up to date
> right now.

Yes, I have another approach:
https://github.com/endlessm/xf86-video-armsoc/commit/d7855656a82513d2e81d05bb690ecddabb2db1ca
(and then several follow up commits for corner cases)

Unfortunately it's all part of a significant fork based on an old
version of armsoc. Newer versions have some more fundamental problems.
I did send some patches and tried to start corresponding discussions
almost 2 years ago, but those emails are still unanswered.

Daniel