Michel Dänzer is invited to help maintain master X server branch

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Aug 18 15:52:24 UTC 2016

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> Many glamor changes have been pushed by Adam or Keith lately. Is that
> intentional, i.e. is it okay for others to push glamor changes which are
> ready, or should we always get in touch with Eric first?

Would saying "it depends" help at all? When there's a major chunk of
code getting ready to be merged, then coordinating through a single
person can avoid merge conflicts. In quiet times, then working
separately will reduce communication overhead.

So, I think the key is to know when things are busy and when things are
quiet, and to have a sense of how much conflict any particular patch is
likely to cause with other changes in process. It's probably not a great
idea to merge a whitespace patch touching every file in the repo just
before someone merges a pile of changes to a single file.

When in doubt, feel free to just ask around. If several of us agree that
merging a patch seems fine, then at least it's not entirely your fault?

--
-keith