Xorg glx module: GLVND, EGL, or ... ?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Dec 15 08:15:09 UTC 2016

Hi Adam, Andy, Kyle,

even with GLVND in place and used by Mesa and other GL implementations,
one remaining issue preventing peaceful coexistence of Mesa based and
other GLX implementations is that other GLX implementations tend to ship
their own, mutually incompatible versions of the Xorg glx module. I'm
not sure about all the reasons for this, but an important one is that
the glx module in the xserver tree has been using the DRI driver
interface directly, which can only work with Mesa.

Adam, IIRC you previously mentioned the possibility of making the
xserver glx module use EGL instead of the DRI driver interface. Another
possibility might be to make it use GLVND. Is my understanding correct
that those are basically two mutually exclusive approaches for
addressing this issue? Maybe there's even more options I'm not aware of?

I'd be interested in any thoughts you guys could share on this topic, in
particular on which of the above two options would be better.