VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Sat Dec 31 11:31:49 UTC 2016

On Ter, 2016-12-27 at 01:11 -0900, CK wrote:
> The Xorg server has been broken for 2-3 years when
> using drivers for this chipset.

>From here :
http://www.viatech.com/en/silicon/legacy/chipsets/cle266/

Key Features

» Supports all VIA processors, Intel® Pentium® III and Intel® Celeron™
Socket 370 processors
» 66/100/133MHz FSB settings
» 100/133MHz DDR/SDR Memory bus settings
» Support for Integrated VIA AGP 8X 2D/3D Graphics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III
Pentium_III  Produced From early 1999 to 2003

Conclusion I think the drives broken was assumed because nobody
maintain this very old drives. But you still have standard VGA working
, to have drive of this chipset working, the solution should be use an
old X version ... , I guess.

> I am not enough of
> an Xorg geek to know all the details, but it broke
> between FreeBSD 9.3 and later releases.  And between
> Linux Puppy Precise-5.7.1 and later releases.
>
> And all 3 drivers were tried: the original VIA driver,
> the 0.3.3 openchrome driver, and the 0.5.0 openchrome
> driver - and these are good fanless boards that are
> still sold today (686s) and they should be supported,
> especially since they worked fine previously and the
> support was broken in some way - I still use and/or
> support over dozen of them with UNIX type systems
> that rely on Xorg.  These boards are not old
> outdated technolgy by any standard.
>
> Please fix whatever was broken, so that boards relying
> on this chipset can function with future UNIX-type
> system releases.  Thank you.

Sérgio M. B.