please do not use &fullrelvers; in xdmcp.xml

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Jan 1 11:56:31 PST 2016

On 11/11/15 01:23 PM, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Hello Xorg developers,
>
> While furthering Debian's multiarch capabilities I ran into the issue
> that an xdmcp.txt generated from xdmcp.xml (in libxdmcp) would be
> dependent on the version of xorg-sgml-doctools. Due to the
> implementation of multiarch, the difference in file content breaks the
> installation of libxdmcp. I am therefore proposing to drop the use of
> &fullrelvers; in xdmcp.xml (see attached patch). Despite being motivated
> by a technical constraint in Debian, this change makes sense
> conceptually as well. The value of &fullrelvers; is independent of the
> version of libxdmcp. I would not expect the version of a different tool
> to show up in the header of the documentation for libxdmcp. I hope that
> this makes sense to you as well. Please Cc me in your replies.

This is leftover from the old X11R6 monolithic releases, when everything
was released as one giant wad, and the &fullrelvers; was the version of
that wad.  It's stayed around mainly because we've had no reason to drop
it until now.

Since we've not even done a X11R7 katamari release in years, it's pretty
meaningless today, so I've pushed your suggested fix to git master for
libXdmcp:

To ssh://git.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/lib/libXdmcp
    b10f382..5021b93  master -> master

Thank you for your patch.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com