modesetting driver does not support being an offload source, should not advertise cap ?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Jul 6 16:08:27 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Currently the modesetting driver sets a cap flag claiming that it can
be an offload source, yet using DRI_PRIME=1 with the modesetting driver
being the driver for slave nvidia gpu, does not work unless the master
gpu driver (intel) has dri3 enabled, at which point the whole xserver
no longer gets involved (AFAICT).

For the modesetting driver to really support being an offload
source in the dri2 case, it needs to have a version of 9
or higher in its DRI2Info struct and have the CreateBuffer2 /
DestroyBuffer2 callbacks, which the modesetting driver does not have.

So now I'm wondering am I missing something, or should the modesetting
driver not export the offloadsource cap (or actually implement
a version 9 DRI2Inof) ?

Regards,

Hans