xfree86: use modesetting driver by default on GeForce 8 and newer - Fedora

Ben Skeggs bskeggs at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 09:34:01 UTC 2017

On 04/25/2017 03:59 PM, poma wrote:
> Hello
>
> Default to xf86-video-modesetting on GeForce 8 and newer.
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/cgit/rpms/xorg-x11-server.git/commit/?id=de1c849ff18b41f53d003bb70bf8b1744b749af8
>
> This is thrown onto users downstream, without any further explanation, why modesetting is preferred for GeForce 8.
> Is the nouveau Xorg DDX i.e. xf86-video-nouveau broken with NV50 family (Tesla)?
>
> I mean xf86-video-nouveau works here with a couple of NV50, so what is the story there?
1) xf86-video-modesetting is far better maintained than the Nouveau DDX.
2) The Nouveau DDX does not support MST connectors appearing and
disappearing.
3) By default, Fedora already uses Wayland, and hence glamor for
acceleration of X applications on Xwayland.  This just makes a native
Xorg server do the same for NVIDIA GPUs (like we do already for new
enough Intel GPUs).

Ben.