Integration of libpointing with Xorg

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Aug 29 02:14:52 UTC 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:21:55AM +0300, Pekka Paalanen wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 18:02:52 -0600
> Tim Stowell <stowellt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I had several questions:
> >
> >    1. Does anyone know if there has been an effort to integrate
> >    https://github.com/INRIA/libpointing with Xorg?
> >    2. If not, how would I go about attempting this integration? Libpointing
> >    basically outputs x and y displacements based on selected transfer
> >    functions. I would need to find out where Xorg currently handles mouse
> >    input and sets the cursor position so I could somehow intercept it and
> >    modify those coordinates.
> >
> > I would appreciate any pointers in the right directions, such as which
> > file(s) in the Xorg codebase handlle mouse movement events and actually
> > move the cursor? Thanks.
>
> Hi,
>
> what is the advantage of libpointing you are seeking over, say, libinput?
> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libinput/
>
> I had a quick glance over the libpointing README and wiki and but did
> not quite understand the project's benefits.

it's a research project to analyze and experiment with pointer acceleration
(pointer transfer) functions. From my POV it may be interesting to use it to
gather data about acceleration function but I don't think using libpointing
directly for something as (technically) simple as a pointer acceleration
function gives us a lot of benefits. Much easier to take the magic numbers
and copy them across into libinput's implementation.

Cheers,
   Peter