VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Fri Jan 6 08:10:37 UTC 2017

Hi Michael,

> Sent: Monday, January 02, 2017 at 11:02 AM
> From: Michael <macallan at netbsd.org>
> To: "Kevin Brace" <kevinbrace at gmx.com>
> Cc: xorg-devel at lists.x.org, CK <nibbana at gmx.us>
> Subject: Re: VT8623 [Apollo CLE266]
>
> Hello,
>
> Stupid question - why restrict yourself to old kernels and Xservers?
> We've got relatively recent Xorg ( 1.18 ) running, with acceleration,
> on things like 32bit Suns.
> Also, I kinda doubt that any C3 boards could take enough memory to make
> PAE useful - or am I missing something here?
>
> have fun
> Michael

While it is not necessary, I try to maintain backward compatibility since it is not that difficult to do so.
This is one major reason why I still use Ubuntu 10.04 for testing purposes.
As a result, I believe the current OpenChrome (Version 0.5) can be compiled for X.Org Server 1.7 (the version used with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS if I am correct) all the way to 1.15.
With the latest fixes I have put in for the future Version 0.6, it should compile against X.Org Server 1.19.
Another reason is that I have not personally tried Gentoo or Arch Linux so far. (I will someday.)
I will have to use Gentoo or Arch Linux someday since I will need to test the next generation OpenChrome DRM with Linux 3.19-rc6 kernel I use for development purpose against CLE266 chipset.
    While this is not really related to CLE266 chipset per se, but VIA Technologies C3 processor was originally going to be called WinChip 4 processor.

https://www.ele.uva.es/~jesman/BigSeti/ftp/Cajon_Desastre/MPR/121605.pdf

For marketing reasons, Centaur Technology (they apparently still exist in Austin, TX) changed the bus interface of WinChip 4 from Socket 7 (something AMD used) to Socket 370 (P6 bus) when IDT sold Centaur Technology to VIA Technologies for about $50 million around Year 1999.
Since WinChip 4 was originally supposed to be a Socket 7 processor (like AMD-K6-2 processor), they never had PAE implemented since Socket 7 does not have those extra 4 address bits exposed (basically, A[35:32]), if my memory serves me correctly.
VIA Technologies did a major refresh of C3 processor once, and if I am correct, it was codenamed Nehemiah. (Centaur Technology codename was C5XL,)
They did implement CMOV instructions if I am correct, and probably implemented 4MB page size.
But you are right, C3 will never use more than 4 GB of RAM, so they probably thought implementing PAE was not necessary at that time. (early Year 2000)

Regards,

Kevin Brace
The OpenChrome Project maintainer / developer