Xvfb problems

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:12:17 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have found out what the problem is with Xvfb.
Xvfb does not support GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS and GLX_SAMPLES.
If I comment them out, like below, Xvfb now works OK.
        int attribList[] = {
                GLX_DRAWABLE_TYPE, GLX_WINDOW_BIT,
                GLX_RENDER_TYPE, GLX_RGBA_BIT,
                GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER, True,
                GLX_STEREO, False,
                GLX_TRANSPARENT_TYPE,
                GLX_NONE, GLX_RED_SIZE, 8,
                GLX_GREEN_SIZE, 8,
                GLX_BLUE_SIZE, 8,
                GLX_ALPHA_SIZE, 8,
                GLX_STENCIL_SIZE, 8,
                GLX_DEPTH_SIZE, 24,
//                GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS, 1,
//                GLX_SAMPLES, 2,
                None
        };

glXChooseFBConfig(dpy0, 0, attribList, &nitems);

For those using Java and using Processing with P2D or P3D, by default
it includes GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS and GLX_SAMPLES.
The way to stop Processing using them, is to add "noSmooth()" in the
settings section,
e.g
size(800,600,P2D);
noSmooth();

Xvfb is then compatible with Java P2D, P3D Processing functions.

I suppose the next question is, when will Xvfb or swrast start
supporting GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS?

Kind Regards

James