Proposal for RandR version 1.6, Leases and EDID-based output grabs

Mario Kleiner mario.kleiner.de at gmail.com
Sat May 6 11:34:44 UTC 2017

On 05/05/2017 04:25 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
> Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I disagree on the details, more below.
>
>> Such a RandR request is something I would not like to have to replicate
>> on Wayland. The display server contains the policy, it should not just
>> expose everything up for grabs. This is a fundamental difference
>> between X11 and Wayland architectures, and I think the output
>> information database should support both ways.
>
> Sounds like a good idea; if you want to work on how this should appear
> in Wayland, that would be great as it would provide two implementations,
> rather than just one.
>
>> I disagree. Wayland will likely have a special protocol extension
>> exclusively for advertising HMDs, so the display server will need to
>> know which ones are HMDs and which one are not, regardless whether the
>> desktop is extended there or not. This extension could also offer the
>> DRM leasing capabilities.
>
> What I was thinking that a display which the window system cannot drive
> natively should probably just be ignored entirely. An HMD which can
> natively handle a desktop (such as the PSVR system) might well be
> advertised as 'desktop capable', even though it is an HMD.
>
> However, I also think you're right -- while the window system can't deal
> with it *today*, that doesn't mean the window system won't be able to do
> that in the future.
>
> Hrm. I think the important distinction here is that the user installed
> an application which is designed to talk directly to this display. From
> that, we should probably infer that the user would like to use that
> application with the display.
>
>> Having the window manager know what is a HMD and which client is active
>> on it will let it make better management decisions and even allow
>> switching between VR apps, or temporarily switching from VR app to the
>> desktop when supported, and back.
>
> The window system will know when outputs are leased to another client,
> so it can tell when to bring them back to the desktop. In the PSVR
> instance, you'd list the device as 'desktop', but still allow
> leasing. When no lease was active, the desktop could extend into the
> PSVR environment. When the custom application started, it would request
> a lease at which time the desktop would move off of the PSVR.
>
>>> Thanks again; I'm sensing that a simple 'ignore this monitor for the
>>> desktop' might suffice for now, but that we'll end up wanting something
>>> more complicated in the future. I think the key is to try and avoid
>>> making that harder by what we do now, but I don't think we should be
>>> trying to implement a larger solution too soon.
>>
>> Yes, that I agree with.
>
> I guess that's the question -- is a simple command to ignore a monitor
> for purposes of the desktop sufficient for now? Or do we need to worry
> about a possible future in which the window system implements native HMD
> support?
>
>> Ultimately I would envision an output device database describing
> [...]

Just please make sure that one (user configurable/opt-in if necessary)
policy from the beginning is to allow leasing out any output to
applications, not just HMDs. My type of scientific/medical applications
would benefit as soon as it has the option to get a drm lease for a
given output on both X and Wayland based systems. That's not a
theoretical future use case, but one i'd try to offer to my users as
soon as a stable protocol/implementation is available in a regular Linux
distribution. It wouldn't be fun for inexperienced users if they had to
hack the database for every model of display they want to use, or if
every untrusted user would have to have a root password to do so.

thanks,
-mario