edid-decode

Mark Ferry mark at cognomen.co.uk
Tue May 16 13:21:12 UTC 2017

Hi Jan

On Mon, 15 May 2017 23:01:05 +0200, Blue Möhre wrote:
> I am struggling with my new Intel NUC & LG OLED display and therefore was
> using edid-decode via Ubuntu repo to debug things. I need to add Modelines
> manually to xorg.conf, since my Yamaha AVR does break the EDID information
> while passing through HDMI =/. The read-edid package which is generating
> these Modelines is outdated (like edid-decode in Ubuntu repo ;). But the
> current version of edid-decode is working fine... soooo maybe there is some
> possibility to add that generator to edid-decode?

I'll defer to Adam for the addition of such a feature.

I'm not sure of the value of overlapping with parse-edid since a trivial
example (from my own laptop) shows that the output of edid-decode

  Maximum image size: 29 cm x 17 cm
  Gamma: 2.20
  Detailed mode: Clock 138.700 MHz, 294 mm x 165 mm
                 1920 1968 2000 2080 hborder 0
                 1080 1083 1088 1111 vborder 0
                 -hsync -vsync

seems to map very nicely to Xorg modeline syntax:

  DisplaySize 290 170
  Gamma 2.20
  Modeline    "Mode 0" 138.70 1920 1968 2000 2080 1080 1083 1088 1111 -hsync -vsync

You'd still need read-edid's get-edid since it's well out of edid-decode's
scope to obtain raw EDIDs.

However, if your problem is not being able to produce a modeline from an EDID
*extension* (like DisplayID) then you'd need to fix get-edid *anyway* or
retrieve your complete EDID from the Xorg debug logs.
(See https://github.com/smortex/edid-extract)

> In exchange I could commit some EDIDs to the repo, if someone tells me how
> to strip the serial numbers =)

Test EDIDs would only be added to defend particular features but thanks for the
offer. :)

ciao
  Mark

--