Will like to release xf86-video-mga Version 1.7 soon

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Tue Dec 4 04:09:26 UTC 2018

Hi Felix,

Since I call myself, Brace Computer Laboratory, I do own a fair number of Matrox graphics cards.
I have been collecting them for some time knowing that I probably will be doing something like this (i.e., testing graphics cards for Linux / BSD) down the road.
Indeed, I am finally doing this now in Year 2018.
    I did some testing of the Version 2.0 RC1 (Release Candidate 1) code (Version 1.6.900).
These are the results.

- Millennium 4 MB WRAM PCI: Complete crash (EXA related)
- Millennium II 4 MB WRAM PCI: Severe rendering errors (i.e., artifacts)
- Millennium II 4 MB WRAM AGP: Severe rendering errors (i.e., artifacts)
- G200 8 MB SDRAM AGP: Okay
- G400 16 MB SDRAM AGP: Okay
- G400 MAX 32 MB SGRAM AGP: Okay
- G450 16 MB SGRAM PCI: Okay
- G450 16 MB SGRAM AGP: Okay
- G550 32 MB SDRAM PCI: Complete crash (X Server related)

I believe I also own G100 AGP and Mystique PCI, but I do not know where they went.
I do not own graphics cards older than Millennium. (I forgot the names of them, but they did exist.)
Please note that occasional artifacts do appear for those that are considered "okay." (i.e., G200, G400, and G450)
Also note that standby resume is completely broken, particularly when EXA is activated.
I did not test dual head (i.e., connected only one VGA monitor to VGA 1).
I used the following environment for the testing.

- Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz
- Shuttle AV40 mainboard (VIA Technologies P4X266 chipset)
- Xubuntu 16.04.5 (X.Org X Server 1.19.6)

Surprisingly (?), the mainboard itself is very stable despite being pretty old. (It was manufactured in Year 2001.)
For now, I hope disabling acceleration for Millennium family will be an okay workaround for this release.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com