Fw: merging imake fork

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Jun 21 14:30:57 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-06-19 at 22:11 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:
>
> > and the most likely outcome will be many people recommending you move
> > to anything but Imake, and maybe offering to make you the maintainer of X.Org's
> > version so we can stop paying attention to it too.
>
> I don't think we even want imake in the X.org repository anymore. I'd
> suggest that the CDE developers are likely the best candidates to own
> that project at this point, unless they decide to switch to something
> more modern as we have.

I did some quick spelunking. Our copy of imake.c starts at X.org 6.6,
and there's about +1100/-500 of changes to ours between the import and
X.org 7.0, at which point (unsurprisingly) it basically stops seeing
any code changes. CDE's copy appears to be from somewhen between X.org
6.4 and 6.6, as it doesn't include any of the changes between 6.6
(XFree86 4.0) and XFree86 4.3. It's been relicensed to LGPLv2+, and is
about +400/-300 from its state when it was imported. Most of the change
in both is the conversion from K&R to ANSI.

I don't think it'd be a huge amount of work to merge the two, but as
X.org we're still allergic to non-MIT code I think.

- ajax