Stepping back

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue May 15 05:43:21 UTC 2018

On 05/14/18 12:58 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
> Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> writes:
>
>> tl;dr: I will not be release manager for 1.21, nor for anything
>> thereafter either, and this time that's probably permanent.
>
> I'd like to thank you for all of the work you have done and with you all
> the best in your next adventures.

+1

>> As for what this means for tree management and future release plans,
>> well, I can't answer that, that's sort of the point. There's a
>> community discussion that needs to happen there, and my opinions can't
>> dominate that if I'm serious about stepping back.
>
> We can start discussions now, and I think we should plan on holding a
> discussion about this during XDC in September.

While in person discussions can be efficient, I do wonder if limiting
them to people who can travel to XDC is how we end up burning out the
same folks over and over.

I don't have great answers as more of us step back like I did a few
years back and Adam is doing now, but with few new folks coming into
our maintainer fold in the past decade, we need to figure out how to
both get more contributors and how to grow them into maintainers.

While Wayland is certainly making great strides, I don't think the world
is yet ready to stop using X altogether, but it's getting harder and
harder for us to keep X alive.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc