Stepping back

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue May 15 19:08:15 UTC 2018

Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> writes:

> While in person discussions can be efficient, I do wonder if limiting
> them to people who can travel to XDC is how we end up burning out the
> same folks over and over.

A good point. With corporate support for desktop computing seeming
fairly limited, I suspect we're going to need some creative ideas on how
to continue development.

> I don't think the world is yet ready to stop using X altogether, but
> it's getting harder and harder for us to keep X alive.

Adam and others have spent the last years reducing the code base. With
xf86-video-modesetting and xf86-input-libinput, we have at least reduced
the amount of work needed to just keep X running on new hardware.

But, there's always the general churn of bug fixes and minor
improvements, and those require management and testing to shepherd them
to a release.

--
-keith