Migrating x.org wiki to GitLab

Zach zach297 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:37:43 UTC 2018

Hello X.Org Developers,

I have been working on migrating the x.org/wiki/ to GitLab pages. The
tracking issue is at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/80 and
the current development branch is at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/zachr/xorg-wiki/tree/hugo. You can see
the pages rendered from ToT at
https://zachr.pages.freedesktop.org/xorg-wiki/.

As part of the migration process, I have converted the markdown flavor
from ikiwiki to hugo using a custom script. Not everything in the old
flavor can be replicated practically in the new flavor, so there will
be junk in the converted pages, unfortunately. As we identify which of
the approximately 1000 converted pages is actually seen by human eyes,
we will fix the glitches.

Additionally, I have designed a new theme which is aiming for
accessibility and clarity. What you see on there isn't final, but is
hopefully good enough.

When the migration is done, the primary advantage will be much more
streamlined edits by the community. Thanks to the hugo static site
generator, editors will be able to render locally in under 1 second to
verify that their change renders nicely. Getting their change
published is a simple merge request, and then the site automatically
gets rebuilt and published by GitLab. If all goes well, the entire
process can be done in 5 minutes.

Please let me know if you have any objections or questions about the migration.

Thanks,
Zach