Weird behaviour (most X extensions missing including GLX) in X11 forwarding since xorg-server 1.20 ...

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Wed Aug 21 14:21:03 UTC 2019

Hi

I'm wondering, whether this happens to everybody using xorg-server 1.20
(1.20.3 in my case).

When using X11 forwarding via ssh

  ssh -X <remotemachine>

(DISPLAY=localhost:10.0)

the list of available extensions when running xdpyinfo is limited to

[...]
number of extensions:    2
    BIG-REQUESTS
    XC-MISC
default screen number:    0

When running xdpyinfo local (DISPLAY=:0) it's complete:

[...]
number of extensions:    29
    BIG-REQUESTS
    Composite
    DAMAGE
    DOUBLE-BUFFER
    DPMS
    DRI2
    DRI3
    GLX
    Generic Event Extension
    MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
    MIT-SHM
    Present
    RANDR
    RECORD
    RENDER
    SECURITY
    SHAPE
    SYNC
    X-Resource
    XC-MISC
    XFIXES
    XFree86-DGA
    XFree86-VidModeExtension
    XINERAMA
    XInputExtension
    XKEYBOARD
    XTEST
    XVideo
    XVideo-MotionCompensation
default screen number:    0
[...]

This happens even if you ssh to the same local machine. Can anybody reproduce
this? Is this a known issue. Since now GLX extension is missing I can't run
any GL application any longer via ssh ...

This still works with xorg-server 1.19 for me.

Thanks,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany