[ANNOUNCE] X Server 1.19.7 maintenance release plan

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Thu Feb 7 03:48:57 UTC 2019

Hi René,

I am planning to mainly release a maintenance release of 1.19 and possibly 1.18 later.
As Alan Coopersmith has stated, XAA has been gone for some time, and I doubt I am allowed to apply the 24-bit bpp EXA patch to older X Server releases and ship a new version.
    As for old S3 (i.e., Vision and Trio) and S3 ViRGE, I recently tested them on X Server 1.19.6, and at least ViRGE PCI and ViRGE GX2 AGP appear to work nominally okay.
What I mean by "nominally okay" is, booting X Server and being able to change the screen resolution from an OS panel.
Since it is "nominally okay," of course, there is no acceleration and standby resume is broken.

S3 Trio and older series appear to be broken and I am not able to even boot X Server with some devices like Vision 968 (both TI and IBM RAMDAC).
I did try Trio32 1 MB, but the screen is pretty messed up (it did boot X Server).
I can retry this with 16-bit color depth later.
    For the past 6 to 7 days, I have been trying to get old Trident graphics cards (i.e., TGUI and ProVidia) working with X Server 1.19, and I have now figured out why it is not working.
I will discuss this over on my blog soon.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com