libXt release

Thomas Dickey dickey at his.com
Tue Jun 18 01:17:57 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:14:50AM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 6/16/19 5:08 PM, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > I've built, but don't see how to run... with Solaris 11.4
> > (since the existing libraries are linked to an ABI 4 libXt).
>
> It's the same ABI, we just preserve the long-standing Solaris .so.4
> versioning for binary compatibility sake, by patching src/Makefile.am
> to change the libXt_la_LDFLAGS:
>
> https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/blob/master/components/x11/lib/libXt/patches/01-6671721.patch#L686-L701
>
> You can see the rest of our libXt build configuration/patches in:
>
> https://github.com/oracle/solaris-userland/tree/master/components/x11/lib/libXt

I see...

When I looked at this a month ago, I'd thought the ABI was incompatible.

I modified my script to use the .so.4 (okay), but seeing the extra entrypoints
in the patches, didn't want to replace /usr/lib/64/libXt.so.4

Rather, my test packages go under /opt/dickey (except for the app-defaults
files, to work with the default search-paths).  I used the rpath option for
linking xterm to the separate copy of libXt.so.4, which _almost_ worked
as I'd wanted -- but some of the dependent libraries load libXt.so.4, and
_those_ end up on the default linker path.  Setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH "fixed"
that (so I could test the library), but of course isn't a solution.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey at invisible-island.net>
https://invisible-island.net