Radeonhd repo not migrated to gitlab.

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Fri Mar 8 01:51:50 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:27:19AM +0900, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 10:15, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:12:17AM +0900, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I'll admit that somewhere between writing migration scripts, migrating
> > > the other 1,268 repos from git.fd.o, maintaining our new and old
> > > infrastructure, trying to find financial sponsorship for our
> > > infrastructure, fire-fighting sudden 50% SMTP delivery failure rates,
> > > bringing up a CI system and maintaining it as it exploded in use,
> > > supporting people trying to use our new systems by walking them
> > > through the API and bug-hunting for them, documenting and scripting
> > > our new infrastructure so it can be replicated, dealing with regular
> > > influxes of Bugzilla spam, trying to urgently move everyone off
> > > Bugzilla as it's now abandoned upstream, helping Martin bring up the
> > > new members.x.org so it's no longer an insanely insecure pile of PHP,
> > > rewriting the fd.o homepage and lists of projects to not be massively
> > > misleading, working on a lot on Wayland and Weston, working a bit on
> > > Mesa/KMS/etc, then also doing my actual day job and taking care of my
> > > personal life, I failed to make the time to specifically ensure that a
> > > driver which has had one commit since 2010 was updated.
> >
> > It's just amazing how it is always the same repo and the same person
> > that receives you and ajax special attention or more or less active lack
> > thereof, depending on the situation.
>
> You're right that it is a special case. We only have 5 repos which
> have a bare directory name (without the '.git' suffix):
> xf86-video-radeonhd, cairo-5c (Nickle), pycairo and py2cairo (dormant
> since 2012), and roadster (dormant since 2009), compared to 1,268 with
> the suffix. Of those, xf86-video-radeonhd is the only one which got
> migrated to GitLab, which I migrated as soon as it was brought to my
> attention, after manually renaming the repository since the migration
> scripts break if the git.fd.o repo does not have the suffix.
>
> I assume your next question is why it got quite uniquely created
> without the suffix in the first place. For that, you'd have to ask the
> person who created it:
> drwxrwsr-x 8 eich xorg 4.0K Mar  7 21:31 xf86-video-radeonhd.git

Keithp created it in september 2017. We asked you to do it when we
happened to be outside of the XDC conference in cambridge in september
2007. We also asked you for a mailing list then, and you refused. Keith
did this in the hours before we pushed code out, an event which, in
itself, was already badly delayed by ATI not providing a valid open
source license for us to include atombios code.

Keith went and did the right thing to preserve the integrity of fd.o and
added the repository.

We ended up getting a mailing list created by our teamlead at SUSE, who
got us a mailinglist at opensuse.org in the space of minutes, and that
took us way less time than it took us to ask you and to listen to your
excuses for not giving us a mailing list fd.o. You later went and bashed
us for using a "corporate" mailing list.

That was of course years before you went and tried to put the brakes on
providing a mailing list for the lima driver. A quick look over other
requests back then showed me that it usually took you many days, often
weeks, to answer new project requests. But when _i_ asked, a not too
supportive reply was quickly received. Amazingly, even jcristau felt the
need to point out the duplicity of the answer to this request.

All of this does not even begin to take into account the clear temporal
correlation of the hacking of the radeonhd repository with you losing
your consulting contract at nokia.

Integrity is such a nice word. Somehow it feels like words like
integrity and custodian belong together.

Luc Verhaegen.