xorgproto header installation conflicts

Thomas Klausner wiz at NetBSD.org
Sun Nov 24 22:04:12 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 11:44:11AM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 11/19/19 8:13 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> > One particular example: libXxf86misc is still used by 8 packages in
> > pkgsrc, but the necessary xf86miscproto headers are not installed by
> > xorgproto except with --enable-legacy.
>
> Do all those packages strongly require it?  Or do they just need to drop
> the dependency now?

So I checked them and found that some did not actually use the code.
The remaining three that had code to support libXxf86misc could live
without it (xdpyinfo, xscreensaver, xset), so disabled it and removed
the libXxf86misc library from pkgsrc.

> > Why is xf86miscproto in the legacy set?
>
> Because the server side was removed 11 years ago:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/22e64108ec63ba77779891f8df237913ef9ca731
>
> so any client support is unusable dead code, unless you're still running
> an Xserver older than Xorg 1.6.

Thanks for the hint!

Is anything else from this list effectively dead?

libAppleWM
libFS
libICE
libSM