Composite redraw speedup?

Egil Möller egil at innovationgarage.no
Wed Feb 12 15:49:31 UTC 2020

> You have some nasties - your input is going to have trouble due to zooming. the
> standard x input will be 1:1 where the windows are relative to the root window
> etc. :)

Working around this is actually one of the main tasks my WM handles, and
why it uses XI_RawMotion/QueryPointer - to be able to continuously
reposition the current application window under the overlay so that the
right pixel is under the mouse pointer, given the current zoom level.
This works for all windows, except override redirect ones, which are
therefore not zoomable, but drawn 1-to-1 atop everything else (which is
fine, as that's mostly menus anyway).

> but it is how you get to be efficient with less hiccups :)
>
> You could also try running python within the compositor - use python as a
> binding engine then the compositor calls the python code. you can stuff it into
> a thread of its own and "ipc" between compositor loop and python thread. you
> then have a tight binding with the ability to share data in memory (assuming
> you put locks around accessing it) etc. :)

That is an interesting solution, a bit ugly IMHO, but might be a good
compromise... Hm.