Composite redraw speedup?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Feb 13 08:11:36 UTC 2020

On 2020-02-12 6:42 p.m., Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 16:45:50 +0100 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> said:

>>> drmVBlank vbl;
>>> vbl.request.type = DRM_VBLANK_RELATIVE | DRM_VBLANK_EVENT;
>>> vbl.request.sequence = 1;
>>> vbl.request.signal = 0;
>>> drmWaitVBlank(drm_fd, &vbl);
>>>
>>> has worked a charm for maybe give or take close to a decade (as i said -
>>> before present existed).
>>
>> That selects the first CRTC. It'll work most of the time, except when
>> the first CRTC isn't enabled for some reason.
>
> I've seen it select multiple crtc's as I get multiple vblank events with the
> same frame number... (thus filter out the dups to only get one).

Sounds like something's wrong.

Try setting vbl.request.signal to a unique (e.g. monotonically
increasing) value for each drmWaitVBlank call. The value is replicated
in the user_data field of the corresponding event. If you get multiple
events with the same user_data value, that indicates a kernel bug.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               https://redhat.com