RFC: Minimum meson version for xserver 20

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Mar 31 16:12:10 UTC 2020

On 3/31/20 8:42 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 8:24 AM Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have strong opinions on this? I would really like to bump
>> to at least 0.49 for the position-independent executable support. If
>> not that, 0.47 gives us 'feature' support for build options, which
>> addresses the "should we enable this by default or not" question in a
>> consistent way.
>
> After a bunch of weeping and gnashing of teeth, I bumped Wayland's
> dependency to meson >= 0.52.1, which is what is available in buster
> backports.
>
> I don't see a reason to pick anything older than that.

Not that it matters for Wayland, but for X11 packages - I'm currently
shipping Meson 0.51.2 in Solaris, but working now to upgrade to 0.54.0.

I won't object to requiring anything up to 0.54.0 since any new X11
package release with such a requirement should come in after the meson
upgrade.

	-Alan Coopersmith-               alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
	 Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/alanc