Problem with performance with Composite and dri

RafałMużyło galtgendo at o2.pl
Thu May 22 11:34:23 PDT 2008

Michel Dänzer <michel at ...> writes:

> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 11:18 +0000, RafałMużyło wrote:

> Sounds like the app is flooding the X server with requests it can't keep
> up with, or maybe taking and keeping a grab.

I think it's the former, cause I don't think it makes a grab.
> > Now, about XAA/EXA and AccelDFS.
> > For now, I tested it only with dri disabled.
> > EXA + no AccelDFS = same freeze as EXA + AccelDFS + dri
> > XAA + AccelDFS = same as EXA + AccelDFS (no dri)
> > XAA + no AccelDFS = decent framerate, but still a bit low.
>
> That doesn't all make sense - AccelDFS can only really be enabled when
> using EXA with the DRI enabled. So the first one boils down to EXA with
> DRI disabled, which you said previously was better? And there should be
> no difference between the XAA cases regardless of AccelDFS.

I think it's the former, cause I don't think it makes a grab.
Well, with dri enabled, it, indeed, doesn't seem to make a difference
for XAA, for EXA without AccelDFS, while it slowdowns to about 1/3 of normal,
freeze effect does not occur.

> > App doesn't have any console output and I'm running with
> > disable_lowimpact_fallback=true by default, cause it affects other programs.
>
> Then it sounds like the app is using OpenGL functionality that the Mesa
> r300 driver doesn't handle well yet.

The apps, that were affected printed :

File r300_render.c function r300Fallback line 471
Software fallback:ctx->Line.SmoothFlag

And one more thing, I don't know whether it's a server or driver issue,
but about 7 of 8 times I leave X, I end up with black screen,
in this case meaning no video signal (and monitor automaticly turns off),
though if I type (blind) `startx`, X starts without any problem.
That does not happen, if I have a second server running
on a different display.