Wrong resolution and refresh on second screen

sfrdll at tiscali.it sfrdll at tiscali.it
Thu May 29 10:43:57 PDT 2008

This is the output of xrandr:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1400 x 1050, maximum 1400 x 1200
LVDS connected 1400x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x
0mm
   1400x1050      60.8*+
   1280x800       60.0
   1280x768       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9

I noticed that if I add this line in xorg.conf (external monitor section):

Modeline     "1680x1050" 146.25  1680 1784 1960 2240  1050 1053 1059 1089

the external monitor gets the right resolution, but the mouse pointer on it is
scrambled again, and the laptop screen has someting strange: the resolution
is correctly 1400x1050, but some windows (such as the mouse tips in the tray,
or the right click context sensitive menus) behave as if the horizontal
resolution is bigger, because they exit from the screen boundaries on the
right. And kdm login window is no more centered, but right shifted.

Sergio