Support for Mobility Radeon HD 56xx?

Andreas Demmer mail at andreas-demmer.de
Mon Jul 12 01:17:31 PDT 2010

On Sunday 11 July 2010 20:05:33 Alex Deucher wrote:
> It already supports evergreen chips.  Make sure you are using 2.6.34
> with kms enabled and xf86-video-ati
>  6.13.0 or newer.

Hm, my openSUSE 11.3 RC2 comes with kernel 2.6.34 and KMS support. The radeon
driver is in package xorg-x11-driver-video which is version 7.5, according to
changelog, the contained ati driver is xf86-video-ati 6.13.0 (final)..

What should I do to force the radeon driver? I blacklisted "intel" but kernel
mode support renders my screen black. Booting with "nomodeset" shows boot
messages but fails when Xorg ist started.

I guess I need to disable the integrated Intel Arrandale. But since my
notebook has no BIOS switch for this, I need to do it manually with
vga_switchheroo of kernel 2.6.34.

Problem is: KMS keeps me from using the console, therefore I cannot turn the
Intel card off.

Any suggesttions? :-(

Greets,
Andreas