DisplayPort output broken

Andreas Demmer mail at andreas-demmer.de
Fri Jul 23 02:04:50 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have a notebook with switchable graphics (discrete ATI Mobility Radeon HD
5650 and integrated Intel Arrandale). The DisplayPort only works with the
discrete adapter but this limitation also exists in Windows, so I guess the
DisplayPort is hard-wired to the discrete card.

If I use the radeon driver, it detects whenever I plug something into the
DisplayPort. E.g. I have a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter (for projectors) and
test it with my LCD monitor that luckily has a VGA input, too. xrandr detects
the connection and suggests the correct resolution and frequency (1680x1050
@60Hz). But the image is totally distorted. It looks like a old tube monitor
that runs a too high frequency.

I switched back to 1024x768 at 60Hz but the problem persists. The same settings
work fine with Windows, so I suspect this issue to be caused by the radeon
driver.

Is there any way to see what's going wrong and maybe fix this?

Greets,
Andreas

--
http://www.andreas-demmer.de