Help with HD 5750 3D accel?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Jan 20 01:30:07 PST 2011

On Mit, 2011-01-19 at 15:32 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> As this page says it's 'evergreen' I've attempted to configure my
> kernel to load the JUNIPER firmware. Is this correct? I'm unclear as
> to what /lib/firmware files are the right set for this device.
>
> c2stable ~ # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep FIRMWARE
> CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
> CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
> CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin
> radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin"

[...]

> [    18.378] (II) RADEON(0): GPU accel disabled or not working, using
> shadowfb for KMS

This means the radeon kernel module failed to initialize acceleration
for some reason. There might be more information in dmesg, but I suspect
the above firmware configuration is most likely wrong. Does it work
better if you don't enable CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL and/or
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD? Then it should try loading any necessary
firmware files from the filesystem at runtime.