Turn off vertical sync?!

Oldřich Jedlička oldium.pro at seznam.cz
Sat Jan 22 11:57:56 PST 2011

Hi Alex,

On Saturday 22 January 2011 18:50:44 Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Felix Blanke <felixblanke at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I start glxgears I'm getting this message:
> >
> > Running synchronized to the vertical refresh.  The framerate should be
> > approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
> >

> > How can I turn vsync off? It seems to be an default options, because I
> > don't turn it on anywhere.
> > I tried it with a .drirc in the home of my mainuser. The glxgears msg
> > disappeared, but the framerate was still limited to 60.
> >

> > Any suggestions?
>
> set the env var vblank_mode=0
>
> You can also add an entry in your .dirrc, but the driver name has to
> be "dri2" for kms IIRC.

That is right. I was using the "driconf" utility to set the configuration,
which in turn uses xdriinfo, but that reports the driver to be "r600", not
"dri2". So I changed the driver name in the ~/.drirc from "r600" to "dri2" and
it started to work :-) Does the radeon driver have anything to do with the
"driver name" as reported by xdriinfo?

Thanks,
Oldřich.