Any known problems with vmplayer and git driver?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:47:26 PST 2011

2011/1/24 Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net>:
> On Sam, 2011-01-22 at 15:48 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> The question I cannot answer is why does glxgears render on softpipe
>> and not the r600 identifier? Anyone know an easy answer to that?
>
> If the Xorg.0.log file says direct rendering is enabled,
>
>        LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo|grep render
>
> might give a hint.

OK, but that's a bit of work as I'll have to remove the closed source
driver, switch back to open source, and then do the experiments. It
will likely be the end of the week before I can afford to do that.

>> At this point I have a suspicion that another part of the problem
>> is that when running VMware there is something strange going on with
>> whose GL is in use.
>
> If so, assuming you don't need 3D acceleration in the guest OS, you may
> be able to work around the problem by disabling 3D acceleration in the
> VM display settings. If not, it would be interesting to see at least the
> full Xorg.0.log files from both the broken and working driver version.

Interesting. I didn't think 3D was enabled in my vmplayer settings but
it was on a couple of the machines and at this point I don't remember
which machines I used when I tested and reported the problem. I don't
need 3D at all and have disabled it for now. When I get a chance to
switch back to the open source driver I'll see whether the problem
still exists.

I assume that if the problem is there with the Enable 3D option turned
on in vmplayer then that is of interest on this list?

Thanks,
Mark