Debian installation error in autogen.sh

Bruno Mendoza bbbmes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:56:45 PST 2011

HI all,

I'm trying to install radeon controller in Debian Lenny with kernel
2.6.26-2-686 with a monitor LG W2454TQ and a graphic card R710 (954f) but I
get errors in "autogen.sh" execution script. I'm trying this because I can't
get resolution 1920x1080 pixels.

The radeon controller version installed with Debian official repositores is
6.9. I thought that If I install lastest stable version of this driver I
will solve this problem. To make this I have followed the guide at
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo#Stablebranch but I got the following
error executing autogen.sh:

autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoheader
autoreconf: running: automake --add-missing --copy --no-force
src/Makefile.am:81: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:81:   The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add
`AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
src/Makefile.am:81:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf'
again.
src/Makefile.am:81:   If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
src/Makefile.am:81:   its definition is in aclocal's search path.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

What is wrong?

Cheers,
Bruno.